Sunday, October 11, 2009

Apple Pie and the Universe

I'm a fan of the sky and stars. When I was in high school I got to go to space camp "Sky Lab" and guess what? That same astronomy teacher "Mr. Barenka" went to Em's elementary school to teach about space!

The following movie shows an American astronomer, a professor, Carl Sagan, who made science easy to understand on a PBS show called "Cosmos." You'll also see a little bit of Stephen Hawking, a professor of physics in England. So, if you're wondering about what apple pie has to do with the universe, check out the movie.
Looking for a journal entry idea? List your favorite pie(s). Pretend you're a food critic and write what you like about your favorite pie. (Have you seen Ratatouille? There's a good example of a food critic in that movie!) Here are some other questions you might want to write about: Have you ever helped bake a pie? Does your family bake them at home or do you buy them at the store? If you buy, them, from where? Do you get the small Hostess pies in your lunch for school?

1 comment:

Jeanne said...

That is really neat. I didn't know you went to a space camp or was it sky camp(?) - I am sure Tennyson would love to hear more about it, and me :)
I loved that video. Aren't people so creative? I remember watching videos about those guys in Mrs. Dean's Physical Earth Science class. She was one of my favorite teachers. She helped me notice rocks more. She loved rocks, especially with cleavage (rock joke).