Saturday, June 6, 2009

Dear Fellow Bookworms...

Summer reading season is here! When I was a kid, my big sister and I would read while on road trips through California, Idaho and Oregon. We would read while we did our daily or weekend chores. The library was a regular Saturday afternoon destination. Here are some summery reading ideas that you might like:

Summer Reading List
Have you heard about summer reading lists on the radio? If not they're simply lists of books that are "must-reads". The list just makes it easy to remember what you want to read. Try making you own list and keep it somewhere handy, like the fridge door, or the computer desktop (digital - that's what I do) or keep it in the tote bag you take to the library.

Book Club
We tried pulling together a book club earlier this spring, but it fizzled. So Emily and I have decided to carry on. Em's choosing the books. Here are our starter books if you want to read along: June Reads: Molly Moon, Twilight

Books on Tape (or CD)
Reasons books on tape are a must in the summer:
  • Listen to a book while weeding
  • Listen to a book while doing your chores
  • Trouble getting to sleep? Throw a book on tape in your CD player
You'll know it's a good book when you find yourself asking your mom "Where's the sunscreen? I have to weed the garden." Mmm, hmmm. Just make sure your CD or tape player has a good stash of rechargeable batteries!

The Library
Check in at the info counter for the summer reading programs. This year in Salt Lake there's a program for kids and parents. AND if you're like me, you might want to check out the book renewal option over the phone or the internet. Those smart thinkers at the libary (in Salt Lake) have set up a program to let kids under 18 read-down their fines, so check into it, if you have a problem returning your books on time, like me.

Cool Bookmarks
I love funky bookmarks and these are really cute: Family Fun bookmark craft. Have you seen the magnetic bookmarks at Barnes and Noble, also very cool! (Cat bookmark picture from barnesandnoble.com)

TweenCraft bloggers are going to be turning pages all summer long so, dear, friendly you, could you do me a favor? Ack... no I'm not asking you to log your reading time, or anything painful. Will you comment and share what you're reading and any fun you're having with books and the library this summer! We love to hear what you think!

1 comment:

Jeanne said...

Here in Idaho, some in our family plan on re-reading a bit. It has been some time since I finished Harry Potter 7 (my son's friend is listening to it on his Ipod like Suzanne mentioned) my son and Lauren are getting ready for HP 6 by re-reading the book, and my 10 year old daughter is going to let me read Harry Potter 4 to her, (she's reading Princess Academy right now). So far it has been kind of a tradition to read them to my kids, and the 4th is usually the last of the series I read to my kids before they finish the rest on their own. Even though I will be reading to Ivy, I usually end up with a few extra ears, and I don't mean her younger sisters, they will get their turn too some day though.